Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Carpe Diem Syndrome

I've been spending too much time at the computer lately.

I was working a big PowerPoint project on a tight deadline, and that meant that I spent too many consecutive hours either typing or mousing without many breaks. Not only does this turn one's brain to mush and transform an otherwise articulate and charming socialite into a monosyllabic neanderthal...but it also wreaks havoc among the fragile muscles, joints, and tendons of the arms and hands. As a result, my elbows are stiff, my hands feel swollen, and my entire torso seems bent out of shape.

I should probably take a few days off, and rehab my hands with finger-specific exercise, such as playing the guitar or operating the TV remote. I'm sure some power napping and jacuzzi-sitting would also help.

Or perhaps some time on a nice warm beach, letting the surf gently massage my aching joints while the rhythmic sound of the waves erases all thoughts of editorial dronery from my far-too-cluttered mind. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to attend limbo contests or listen to Jimmy Buffet, but perhaps a leisurely walk in the sand at sunset would be nice. Ahhh.

Of course, I won't do that. I've got a proposal coming up at the office, a volunteer project that will be demanding additional time (it's pretty cool -- I'll tell you about that later), and constantly-expanding domestic duties that threaten to dwarf anything ever photographed by Hubble. Sigh. And if that weren't enough, there's the personal challenge of dropping all the weight I gained while I was out of the water following my ear surgery.

And I still haven't given myself a haircut.

Hmmm.

You know, my friends, I truly do enjoy my life, and it's a dandy one by any standards. I've got a son I'm truly proud of, a swim team full of outstanding and inspirational people, some very dear and supportive friends and loved ones; and I continue to be stunned by the sheer magnitude of incredible handsomeness that stares back at me from the mirror every morning (despite the unruly hair). Still, if somebody offered to sit in for me at work for a few weeks so I could go hang out on some island off the coast of Florida and catch some rays...well, I might be open to the idea. Let me know...and have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home