Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Jared Pearce: 1977 - 2009


My nephew died Friday. His death was shocking and unexpected, but as far as I know, painless. For that I'm grateful.

I am also grateful for the opportunity to know him. I met Jared shortly after his birth, when my dad flew us out to Indiana in a rented Cessna to welcome the youngster into this world. As my first nephew, of course he held a special place in my heart.

Because of the way she stepped up to help raise my brother and I after our mother died, I expected my sister to be a great mom, and to nurture Jared into becoming an outstanding and fine person. That expectation was fulfilled.

I won't detail all of Jared's accomplishments here, nor will I share all of my memories of him. But I will say that I'll never forget the trip we took to the Grand Canyon with him and his brother when they were still in grade school. That was my first opportunity to really feel like I was getting to know him. At that point, I guessed that Jared would be some sort of media star, since he was so photogenic, and posed so effortlessly and professionally for all the photos I took. (I'll post some of them when I find them. I know they're around here someplace.) A few years later, as a heartthrob sports figure at his high school, he had all the girls drooling. Of course, as his uncle, I felt a moral obligation to make fun of him and verbally spar with him at every opportunity (just as my son's uncles take such delight in doing to him.)

We were nothing but proud when Jared achieved his Eagle Scout rank; it was a big moment for our entire family. And his unbroken record of service to the Scouts and to his community since then continues to be a source of intense admiration and pride. Nearly everything he did seemed to be geared toward helping others, whether it was through teaching, coaching, or his leadership at Scout camp for so many years. Jared shared his father's quick sense of humor and hearty laugh, and I shall miss them.

The last time I saw Jared, he ended the visit in his usual good-natured manner. He gave me a huge smile and said "I'm glad you got to see me."

I'm glad I got to see you, too, Dude. I'm glad too.

Godspeed, Jared. Rest in peace.

1 Comments:

At August 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

If this is the Jared Pearce that attended Kansas State University starting in 1996, then I was one of his fraternity brothers at the TKE house. I received an email from friends last Saturday letting me know that they had heard he died. Jared was a great guy. I hadn't kept up with him after school, but he was one of the nicest people I ever met while I was there. He was always willing to help someone out when they had a problem. RIP Jared.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home