Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My First Webcast

I am really excited! The Digital Media Department has agreed to let me help them with webcasting, at least on a trial basis. I'm hoping this might open the door to other work within their department, and might be the first step on my way to become the aerospace industry's version of C.B. deBodine, big time Director. I could possibly get a beret, a monocle, a megaphone, and a canvas chair with my name on it...if I play my cards right.

The term "webcasting" simply means making a program of some sort available over the Internet. Most of the webcasts we'll be doing around here consist of some Subject Matter Expert (SME) giving a speech about something that is supposed to be of interest to other folks across the company. We point a camera and microphone at the speaker, hook into the computer that contains the associated PowerPoint slides, and then beam the entire thing to a web page where interested parties can watch it LIVE on their computer...or click the link at some later date to view it at their convenience.

It's a fabulous tool -- allowing folks anywhere within the company to virtually attend presentations and meetings that they couldn't make in person. With webcasting, every employee can now use their web browser to tune in to hear various eggheads talk about Diversity, Ethics, Leadership, Foreign Object Elimination, or any of the other buzzwords of the day. Vice Presidents and other bigwigs can pontificate in front of the camera, knowing that their words will be instantly and eternally available to inspire and motivate every single lowlife peon within their organization.

I helped set up the equipment, and then served as cameraman during the shoot. The SME was talking about the Concept Development organization, which is the group you go to when you have an idea, but aren't able to immediately implement it within your home shop. Let's say you invent some sort of useful robot, but because you work in the Proposal Development Center (which is committed to expending human labor in the most inefficient way possible), there isn't a market for it within your group. Well then, you'd take it to the Concept Development dudes, who would run it up the proverbial flagpole and eventually make lots of money off it after you've been fired for being a rabble rouser.

But I digress. The main point is that I really enjoyed being behind the camera again, and immersing myself in the world of wiring and cable spaghetti, tripods, headphones, and VU meters. I belong there.

Speaking of spaghetti -- one of the perks of attending big-time events like this is that there's a chance it will be catered. While we were setting up the equipment, the cafeteria folks brought in a sumptuous array of pasta delights. Spaghetti, meatballs, salad fixins, and plenty o' breadsticks -- I was definitely ready for the speech to end so I could drown myself in marinara sauce and company-provided diet soda.

But alas, twas not to be. Alex, the webcast Director, had to get the equipment back into the van and returned to the other building immediately after the show...so there wasn't time to eat.

Bummer!

Worry not, though, my friends: If all goes well, there will be more catered video events, and I shall get my fill of both multimedia work and sterno-warmed Italian food. I am optimistic that my involvement in webcasting represents the best career opportunity I've had yet at this company. And it should result in some interesting stories to share with you, so stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed for me.

As always, thank you for your support...and have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home