Friday, February 5, 2010

I am not Klammer

I used to imagine myself as the next Franz Klammer, only without the Schwarzeneggerian accent. In my college skiing days, I'd pound the slopes like Rocky pounded beef -- without mercy and without the proper equipment. I'd zip through trees, bound off moguls, and laugh at both double-diamonds and snowplowing amateurs. On the rare occasions I fell, the crashes were spectacular!

It's possible that those days are behind me now. My skiing performance on Tuesday did not quite measure up to my glory days of blazing speed, flawless execution, and humongous air. (Hey, that's the way I remember it; if you want to write history in another, perhaps more accurate way...go get your own blog!) In fact, it was downright embarrasing. I spent more time on the ground than Gary the Actor.

In contrast, my brother skiied very well. Of course, since I am the older and far superior sibling, this does not make me happy. But he does ski much more frequently than I do, so I guess I'll have to concede the point...at least until I win Lotto and can retrain myself to a more Klammerian level.

I got a bruddahOn the plus side, I did not get sunburned, didn't get too sore, and didn't blow out my knees. Yes, I did eat too much pizza and ice cream after the day's efforts, but a person deserves to overindulge after a day with boards bolted to his feet; I shall not apologize. And though I wasn't exactly crisp at the office on Wednesday, I didn't fall asleep at my desk or anything, so all in all, I'd have to say that the ski trip was a success. Especially since I did get better as the day went on. (Though my brother may have surpassed me, I'm pretty sure I'm still better than my college roommate.)

Anyway, I leave you with a short video demonstrating what a lovely day it was, and perhaps...just perhaps, giving you a flavor of the joy and enthusiasm our activities brought us. Despite the decline in my skillset, I had fun, and just might do it again soon. Enjoy the movie, and have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home