Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Olympic 100 Butterfly Final

"What in the wide wide world of sports is a-goin' on here?"

Extra credit if you can identify the source of that quote. (Answer at the end of this entry.)

That was one of the most exciting and oddball things I've even seen in any world of sports, wide wide or not. I'm talking, of course, about Michael Phelps' amazing (and sneaky) victory in the 100 butterfly, securing his 7th gold medal of the 2008 Games.

As I watched it, I was certain that Phelps had finished in second place, and was startled when the graphic showed him as the winner. He was clearly beaten, but just as clearly had actually won the race -- thus elevating himself from mere Amazing Phenomenon into Mystical & Legendary Historical Figure, thereby joining the ranks of Bob Beamon, Rosie Ruíz, and that Greek guy who established the marathon distance by dropping dead without any concern at all for what might be a nice round number of miles.

(After further consideration, I realize that Rosie Ruíz probably isn't a good example to use...but seriously, other than Beamon, who else had conjured that sort of magic to elevate their Olympic performance? Phelps has joined a very elite club.)

Anyway, that race does emphasize a couple of my feelings about sporting events.
  1. I really prefer competitions where there are touchpads. The winner is the person who touches it first. No subjective judging. No "tenth of a point deductions". No inflated scores due to Commie judges trying to cheat like the lousy Commie swine they are.
  2. And seriously, you really should finish as hard as you can, no matter what. I hate seeing the track guys running only 80 meters of a 100 meter race and then coasting in. I hate seeing baseball players not run out ground balls. Oh, I'd probably be despised for being such a hardcore and unrelenting coach when it came to such things, but finishing hard is exactly what I would expect, no exceptions. (Wait. I am a coach. And I do expect that. No wonder the swimmers hate me. Geez.) Anyway, the point is that Mr. Cavic should've kicked it in just a hair harder. And I think he'd agree with me.
No matter what feelings you may have about photo finishes or how final placements are determined, though, you have to admit that you'll remember this one. It was a heck of a race, and a fantasic finish -- something to tell your grandkids about.

Oh, and by the way, the quote above was from Slim Pickens, as Mr. Taggert in Blazing Saddles. It has nothing whatsoever to do with sports. I just like Slim Pickens. Deal with it, OK? And have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home