Monday, June 27, 2016

Catching Some Rays

I haven't been running much lately.

There's a sore spot on my foot that makes it a tad painful to pound the pavement. A real athlete would suck it up and gut it out, putting in the miles despite the discomfort...especially since the running doesn't seem to make it any worse. But, well...no. Not me.

I've also been spending a lot of time working on proposal contracts. That's good for the bank account, but it really cuts into my leisure time. Oh well. The quest for Work/Life balance continues.

The good news is that Claire and I have had a few opportunities to enjoy the outdoors on the weekends. I don't have much to say about these treks, but will at least share a couple of photos. Here's me at Lake Dillon. (And yes, I do see the irony in wearing my running team shirt in the first photo I show after saying I haven't been running. But hey...it's a nice shirt!)



We also went to Glenwood Springs, and had the chance to hike up to the cemetery that contains Doc Holiday's grave. If I read the placards correctly, it's not certain that Holiday's remains are actually there...but there is a marker to commemorate him. The trail has some gorgeous views of the valley, but apparently I was too busy enjoying the scenery and the company to bother to snap a photo. But the cemetery itself is nicely groomed, and is worth visiting. (Click to embiggen.)



I had been there before, but had forgotten that Kid Curry is also buried there. After watching "Alias Smith and Jones" as a kid, I had assumed that Kid Curry was a fictional representation meant to represent a Sundance Kid type of character. But apparently he was a real guy, though there was nothing in the text at the gravesite that implied he was a master gunslinger.

I'm not sure why the adjective "Kid" is used to evoke an image of toughness. I'd think something like "He-Man Curry" would be a more imposing moniker. But maybe there's something about the cowboy days I don't understand. Perhaps the ravages of age occurred earlier in those days; by the time a guy was 21, was he over the hill? I don't know.

Anyway, we also visited the Sunlight ski area. It's cute. We will probably try skiing there this winter.



I'm back to proposal work next week, but expect to have some interesting topics to discuss by next weekend. Wish me luck, and have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home