Monday, June 27, 2016

The Great Gig in the Sky

RIP Anton Yelchin.

When I first saw Mr. Yelchin as the new Chekov, I thought "He's not remotely like Walter Koenig!" Oddly, the main disappointment was that he didn't have a Beatle haircut. After all, Zachary Quinto had Nimoy's coiffure...right?

But Chris Pine doesn't have Shatner's rug, and Simon Peg's profile is a mere sliver of Jimmy Doohan's. So what?

My instant reaction to the new cast was that Pine is fine, Quinto is superb, and Karl Urban is perfect as McCoy. And Zoe Saldana appropriately rocks Uhura's earbuds. It did take me a bit more time to warm to the new Sulu, Scotty, and Chekov, though, with acceptance of Yelchin being the most difficult transition for me to make. But by the end of the first movie, I was sold. His youthful Rooskie enthusiasm and tentative portrayal of competence won me over.

I am truly saddened that we have lost him. My sincere condolences go to his family and friends, and to Star Trek enthusiasts everywhere.



Take care, my friends. And give your loved ones an extra hug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home