Saturday, March 5, 2016

A Pizza the Action

A Pizza the Action

OK, so I don't expect everyone to know the names of all the Star Trek episodes, but I can still amuse myself by playing with the titles. Here are the answers to yesterday's questions, in order:

The Gamesters of TriSkeletor

Billy Squier of Gothos

The Tholian Webster

Auntie Empath


Perhaps we'll revisit such nonsense at some point in the future. In the meantime, I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the phenomenon of watching TV or a movie and saying "I know that actor!" only to discover that you're mistaken. After noticing that there are certain folks who uncannily resemble each other, I started making a list of the people I tend to confuse with each other. I also tried to figure out how I could work these resemblances into some sort of entertaining quiz...but failed to create a format that seemed interesting. Therefore, I have opted to simply share a few of my observations about people I think could be interchangeable. I'm ignoring characterizations that are intentionally similar (Zachary Quinto vs. Leonard Nimoy, Sean Connery vs. Timothy Dalton, etc.), and I'm not including the Baldwins, the Afflecks, or the Deschanels.

But I will include the Hales...just because the first time you see Alan Hale, Sr., you're sure to say "Zounds! I didn't realize the Skipper was around in the 1940s!" But nope, that's his dad.

Alan Hale

NOTE: I hope you understood that I was totally kidding about Sean Connery and Timothy Dalton. That's like comparing Arnold Schwarzenegger with Don Knotts. C'mon, people!

Anyway, the guys that started this entire thought process are Paul Carr and Roger Perry. They're obviously different when seen side by side, as is the case with everyone we'll discuss today. But if you see either one by himself, it's easy to mistake him for the other guy.

Paul Carr and Roger Perry

These next fellas even have the same voice: Hugh Marlowe and Richard Carlson, who were both staples in early sci-fi movies. I really have trouble remembering which is which.

Hugh Marlowe and Richard Carlson

Then we have Lee Phillips, James Stacy, and Michael Callan. Stacy ended up losing an arm and a leg in an accident, so he's easy to distinguish in his later roles. But all three of these guys have a boy-next-door look and attitude that make them eerily similar.

Lee Phillips, James Stacy, Michael Callan

And finally, we have Balok from Star Trek and Martin Landau from Space 1999. (At some other time, I'd like to discuss how the heck we managed to let 1999 pass by without sending Barbara Bain off-planet...but we don't have time for that today.) What I find most amusing about this picture is that the real Balok thought that his puppet would be more intimidating than his actual appearance. If only he'd have known what he'd look like as a grownup, am I right?

Balok and Martin Landau

I actually have quite a few more of these, which we may get to in the future. If you think of anybody who fits the category, please let me know. Otherwise, thanks for dropping by. Have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home