Monday, October 18, 2010

Running Form

Owwww! My knee hurts!!Yes, I know that the title of this blog is "Keeping Pace", and yet I rarely talk about athletics or training. I would like to remedy that, at least temporarily, by talking about the sport of running for a bit, before I go back to my regular ranting about politics, social phenomena, and why Kirk is better than Picard.

Background: I'm reading the book "Born to Run", and at the same time am participating in our company's "Healthworks Steps" challenge. I'm wearing a pedometer everywhere I go and am determined to record the 7000 steps per day that the challenge requires.

Handy device counts my steps, so I can concentrate on eating nachos[Side comment: There are times when being a nerd has its advantages. For those of you who actually had dates for your prom and know what colors to wear after Labor Day, etc., the unsightly knob of a pedometer on your belt would aesthetically conflict with the lines in your impeccably-coordinated ensemble, creating a fashion faux pas that would materially lower your social status. For a nerd like myself, though, it distracts the attention from the spaghetti stains on my shirt and the mismatched Spongebob socks. It makes me look vaguely like a cyborg, or perhaps a K-Mart version of Bruce Wayne who forgot to remove his utility belt when changing back into his street clothes. In either case, it's a benefit to my social standing rather than a detriment.]

The Healthworks campaign is the company's latest attempt to increase the health and fitness of its employees. If I walk (or run) 7000 steps each day, I receive entries into a drawing for cool tech toys like iPads, iPods, and GPSs. I'm not sure what all I'd do with an iPad, but after my recent experiences in California, I know I sure could use a space-age navigational tool. So, even though I'm not really the target demographic for the Healthworks campaign, I'm enthusiastically participating for the slim chance of winning a useful electronic toy.

Unfortunately, most of the folks I've seen wearing the pedometers are the ones who work out anyway, whether the company provides incentives or not. So while the program may indeed be helping the healthy people be even healthier, the ones who could most use the exercise seem to remain at their desks, slamming down the Cheetos and Tums.

So, into this current environment where I'm momentarily focused on foot-based self-propulsion, I've become engrossed in a bestselling book about ultra-runners and people who can go 7 million steps without knee problems, hamstring glitches, or developing a seething hatred for the sport. In fact, "Born to Run" describes folks who garner intense joy from running, and uses them as effective evangelists for the beauty and perfection to be gained by returning to simpler ways. The author points out that humans have a deeply ingrained and historical genetic relationship with running—prior to the invention of sneakers, man's ability to outrun prey and escape from predators equated to survival...and everybody who managed to stay alive must've been pretty good at putting one foot in front of the other.

Now we have $150 shoes, Segways, golf carts...and a country full of Jabba the Hutts, interspersed with whining runner wanna-bees like myself hobbling around wearing ace bandages and smelling of BenGay. I would love to run like a panther and leap like a gazelle the way my ancestors did, but if I ever went hunting, the crunching and popping in my knees and ankles would give me away long before the beasties saw me coming.

Sigh.

Still, with the inspiration from the book and some running-form advice from friends, I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to work through my current decrepit condition and someday regain my status as "Not a Complete Embarrassment". It will take discipline, commitment, and...

...Aw, who am I kidding? Doing all that stretching and stride modification stuff probably won't happen. I'm too lazy and I don't handle pain and discomfort well at all.

But...dadgummit. I have all these friends whose love for running is really a tad contagious. And there are books and videos and other inspirational materials I can tap into. And just because I'm realistic enough to know that I'm no ultra-athlete, it doesn't mean I have to just completely give up. Maybe I'll add just a little bit more running-related discipline into my schedule.

Hey, let it snow...I can ride indoors!Perhaps I'll use my spiffy new bike trainer. And run, I don't know, one more day a week. And remember to touch my toes a couple of times during each workday. Get a massage every now and then. And then, take more hikes, play more tennis, and slam down entire jars of the most expensive vitamins. That should do it, don't you think?

Two of the world's greatest athletes
I don't know for sure. But I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home