Monday, May 3, 2010

The Joy of Running

Because I complain about my own running and its obvious lack of grace, speed, power, and beauty...you may think that I could never understand the sheer joy that people experience by doing this sport. Just because I rarely loosen up and get into that groove that brings the endorphin high, you could easily assume that I don't even know what it is. But I do understand these things. I have experienced them; not often, perhaps, but enough to know what it must feel like for a natural runner to glide along the road with a happiness that truly lights their life and lifts their day. It is a hard thing to describe. But an easy thing to witness.

Luckily, I now have pictures. These are some photos from the Collegiate Peaks Trail Run. The runners had a choice of a 25-mile course or doing the loop twice for a total of 50 miles. As a spectator, I couldn't tell which was which until they reached the halfway point and either turned around for the second loop...or stopped running to head for the breakfast buffet. But regardless which race they were running, they exuded a vitality and energy that was contagious and inspiring. The mountain morning was so beautiful and the athletes so fired up that it was easy to get caught up in the joyful vibes that were bouncing off the hills.

If you want to add a little positive energy to your life, I'd highly recommend attending one of these races. It's very, very cool; I guarantee you'll enjoy it. So without further comment, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Have a great day!

Runners about to start the Collegiate Peaks race as the sun slowly rises
Jean enjoys a gorgeous morning in a beautiful location
Katie's having fun among the crowd
Sue looks strong and happy as she nears the finish line!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home