Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Chillin'

Sometimes, it's good to just relax. Maybe have a cold beverage with some good friends, talk about galactic politics and whatnot...you know, just immerse yourself in the act of unwinding.

Oh yeah, that would be nice. But it seems like such opportunities are rather rare these days. My calendar has very little white space. I'm having a lot of fun with all this activity, training, and social hobnobbery...but I sometimes wish there were a few more hours in each week.

One of my ongoing projects involves scanning old family photos for eventual incorporation into a historical video documentary about my immediate relatives -- especially my dad. He'll be 97 years old in November, and I think he'd enjoy seeing a compilation that captures some of the moments from his life. He won't remember very much of it, I'm afraid...heck, I'm running across photos of people who were once bosom chums, but whose names now escape me. I couldn't expect a guy with that much more mileage on his brainpan to recognize and identify his own aunts and uncles, much less his cats, cows, and chickens.

Oddly, I'm finding that I remember the names of girls I had crushes on (but never spoke to) more strongly than guys who were in my Boy Scout patrol for multiple years. Swimming teammates remain in my memory much more vividly than school friends -- and 1960s TV actors are easier to recall than aerospace coworkers. These facts probably say something about me that would cause Dr. Freud to take copious notes...but I'm perfectly OK with it all.

But it is good to have graphical documentation of one's life. And it's good to get it digitized and backed up. But the process of scanning, cropping, naming, and filing is a time-consuming one. I could easily fill every free hour throughout the summer, and possibly beyond.

So here's my question for today: How long has it been since YOU uttered the phrase "Gee, I wish I had something to do this weekend!"

For me, the last time was way back when I owned one of these:



I refer to those days (my mid-20s) as my "badass motorcycle-ridin' hippie-stompin' days," even though I probably wouldn't have lived up to your expectation of a hardcore biker. Sure, I did ride everywhere...but I always wore a helmet, obeyed all traffic regulations, and used a muffler that made the bike purr quietly.

Well, OK, I almost always followed traffic regulations. The sunglasses I wore sometimes made it hard to read the posted speed limit signs. But the worst thing I ever did to any hippies was to mutter "get a job!" under my breath as I rode past them. (Heck, I still do that.)

My point is that there was a time in my life where I'd sit at work on Friday and wonder "What am I going to do to keep from being bored this weekend?" Nowadays, the questions is "How am I possibly going to get everything done before Monday?"

Sigh. Oh well, I am quite certain that I prefer having a full and busy life to one with gaps and holes that I'd struggle to fill. Time flies by in fast motion when every single moment is booked up, but there is never an instant when I wish I was someone else.

The upcoming few days feature two social outings with relatives (one of whom I haven't seen for more than 40 years), a running time trial, a triathlon, a swim lesson, unavoidable automobile maintenance, and a breakfast meeting with delicious scrambled eggs and hash browns. Oh yeah...and all the office work, laundry, and dishwashing that comes along with not being able to afford a personal staff.

If by some chance, I do find myself relaxing and vegging out, I will let you know. In the meantime, I hope your tasks keep you occupied with engaging and fulfilling activities. Fabersham, everyone, and have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home