Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lazy Saturday

I took my camera with me up Waterton Canyon, hoping to see a fox, a porcupine, or the elusive Rocky Mountain pine monkey or something...but no. Didn't see a single critter (other than rabbits, which don't count cuz they're as ubiquitous as Udall commercials). Sorry, but my inner John Fielder didn't come to work today.

There's nothing to say about my run, either, other than to continue hoping that the mystic art of accupuncture will provide a miraculous cure to my chronic lameness. (I mean that in the "bad leg" sense of the word, not the more modern "uncool" sense. Though I suppose I could use a cure for lameness in all its myriad forms, I somehow suspect that accupuncture won't do a thing to solve my social ineptness and lack of grooviness.)

(Wait...using a word like "grooviness" is probably pretty lame all by itself, isn't it? Ugh. I guess it makes me wonder even more what other "cures" I need. Oh well, let's get through the accupuncture on Thursday, and then worry about being "hip" later, OK?)

After a nice bubble bath, a short nap, and a homemade taco burger, it was time to head to Golden to listen to the band. They were playing at the Buffalo Rose as part of a benefit for...something. Tanner doesn't pay attention to such details -- or if he does, he feels that it's too much trouble to tell me. All I knew was that it was a benefit. I paid my money, hoping that it was for cancer research or hurricane victims or firefighters or something, and not a fundraiser to pay for more Udall ads.

I parked at the Golden library, and walked down the river path to Washington Street. It was an absolutely gorgeous day. Many smiling citizens were out to enjoy the day, and the faint smell of the Coors brewery wafted through the air while the cheers from the School of Mines football game could be heard above the rippling splashes from the creek. It reminded me once again just how glorious it is to live in Colorado.

"From the Mouth of Cthulhu" was going through their sound check when I arrived, and most of the spectators appeared to be there more for the food than for the entertainment. Plates of burgers and fries were being gobbled down, and nobody had positioned themselves anywhere near the dance floor. I chatted briefly with Sharon (the drummer's mom) and her friend Doug, and then found a barstool over near a couple of groupies. I figured I could hear well and maybe get some good photos from there.

I thought they played well. As I've noted before, this music grows on you -- it's not something you'll want to dance to or immediately start singing along with -- but if you listen a few times, I think you'll really start to appreciate it. Here's a short clip from the performance:

I enjoyed the show a great deal, and as usual had trouble fitting through the door after swelling up so much with pride in my son's talents and creativity. (Seriously, I do love that kid!) But somehow, I managed. I took the long route back to the library, walking past the ballfields and kiyak training area. Somebody had just finished getting married in the park, so I watched the groomsmen tear down the gazebos for a bit, and then went in and browsed the library's video collection. I checked out a Sharukh Khan movie; I'll let you know how that is in a future post.

Summary of the day: Excellent all around. Did I accomplish all the chores I had on my to-do list? No. Not even close. Did I savor being alive, listening to music, and realizing that my to-do list really wasn't that important? Why, yes. Yes I did.

I plan to do the same thing on Sunday, too. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home